• headerbg5

The Pines, Holladay

If Joan and Merlin Taylor hadn't purchased The Pines, it might not exist today. This 1917 bungalow sits at the back of a spacious one-acre lot framed by huge trees on Holladay Boulevard. The Pines' location, large lot, and deteriorated condition made it a prime candidate for demolition by a developer wanting to subdivide the lot and build new homes.

The Pines had changed very little over the years, a fact that both attracted the Taylors to the project and presented some of the greatest challenges of the renovation. Within a very ambitious six-month schedule, Merlin's contracting firm completed a sensitive renovation that preserved the home's original character and important features of a 1939 remodel.

The transformation of the home's exterior was dramatic. The Taylors returned the front porch to its original configuration and removed years of overgrown vegetation that obscured the house from the street. Landscapers took special care to preserve the 100-year-old pine trees from which the home takes its name.

Major interior projects included raising the porch roof to correct a severely sloping floor, removing multiple layers of paint from original woodwork and tile, and upgrading the mechanical and electrical systems. The Taylors moved only one wall during the project to create a master bath. They then painstakingly restored the original basket-weave tile on the bathroom floor.

In addition to completing a splendid restoration, the Taylors listed The Pines on the National Register of Historic Places. They also entered The Pines in the 2002 Greater Salt Lake Homebuilders' Parade of Homes. Confirming the truth all preservationists know in their hearts, The Pines won "The People's Choice Award" beating out 37 other homes of new construction.