The University of Utah's Honors Program wanted a place to call their own, and that is exactly what they got with this red sandstone, one story barracks built in 1875 in Fort Douglas.
For the forty years of their history, the Honors Program had operated out of left over space in somebody else's offices-in rooms in the library, in an old army barracks near the Park Building, and finally in the Sill Center. For the first time, the Honors Program has a home.
Four years ago now, then President Bernie Machen gave the Honors Program Building 619, a beautiful historic building used during the Olympics at Ft. Douglas. But before students and the program could use it, it needed to go through a major adaptive reuse and restoration. Honors had to raise almost a million dollars to complete this work with the help of a Capital Campaign committee led by Randy Dryer (an Honors graduate and adjunct faculty member), and a dynamic committee of committed community members. Not an easy proposition, but they did it in record time with the help of the generous donations of the Willard Eccles Foundation, David and Melinda Simmons, and several other generous individuals and foundations.