Fuller Paint Building, Salt Lake City
When entering downtown Salt Lake you pass the historic W.P. Fuller Paint Building originally built in 1922 as a warehouse for paint and glass. Big-D Construction Corporation bought the building in 2003 to have a strong presence in downtown Salt Lake. One of the main goals of Big-D was to earn a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification when redoing the building. LEED emphasizes state-of-the-art strategies for sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. 75% of the concrete, steel, wire, aluminum, wood, carpet pad and cardboard taken out from the building was recycled and reused back into the building. The original window frames were restored and fitted with new glass preserving the character of the building. The tile emblems on the outside of the building were repeated throughout the interior design creating unity. In the interior of the building and in the atrium there is a glass staircase and aluminum fan that make the building aesthetically pleasing. This building introduces a way to preserve the past while preparing for the future.