John L. Boyden immigrated to Utah with his parents in 1860 and moved to Coalville in 1866. He was the owner of the local co-op store and became one of Summit County's first elected officials. In 1890, his youngest son John was the first President of the Pharmaceutical Society of Utah and the first licensed pharmacist in the state. Together, they opened Coalville's first drugstore called "Boyden & Son" on Main Street in 1892. Over the next 10 years their business expanded and in 1903 they finished the current Boyden Block Building located next door to the original pharmacy. Four years later, a soda fountain was installed and J.L. Boyden & Sons expanded their drugstore to include ice cream, sundaes, and soft drinks.
This building has remained in family ownership since 1903. With the help of the Summit County Frank Boyden began restoring the building in 2006 and during the restoration project the soda fountain bar was restored as well as the glass panel behind the bar. The non-working coolers and freezers were also repaired and restored giving the soda fountain its original appearance. Layers of plywood and sheet metal were removed from the stained glass storefront and the entries were repaired using original or period hardware.
The building was structurally upgraded to meet seismic code. The main floor was reinforced with additional load bearing columns and the perimeter of the building and roof were mechanically fastened to the exterior walls for additional support. New plumbing, electrical, and heating were added.
The Boyden Block Building features an original soda fountain in the first floor and newly configured office spaces on the top floor. With its historic significance in Coalville and the State of Utah, the Boyden Block Building was listed on the National Register of Historic places in November 2008.
Utah Heritage Foundation presented the Heritage Award to Frank Boyden.
Project Architect: Allen Erekson
General Contractor: McCullough Engineering & Contracting