Old Main was the first building constructed on Southern Utah University's campus as a stand-alone, all-purpose structure. Built in 1897, it stands on the hilltop over- looking what would eventually become the campus of SUU. The building initially housed all the functions of the school including administration, classrooms, and all student services. Having survived a major fire in 1948, the interior of the building was mostly rebuilt which drastically altered the interior. Other alterations over time include a series of additions and remodels which made the original interior and exterior Victorian architecture hard to distinguish.
Over 100 years later, the SUU administrations acted upon a new vision for this historic structure. That vision included restoring the architectural character while returning it to a highly functional and prestigious home for the current progam, the Teacher Education Department.
To make this possible the rehabilitation of the building included a seismic upgrade, new mechanical, plumbing, electrical and communication systems. The interior, having all its stairways and millwork stripped away, was restored through the instillation of Victorian style stairways, wood millwork, hardware, light, carpet, and artwork - all compatible with Old Main's original character.
The exterior was also restored to its historic appearance. The brick work was cleaned, repaired, and repointed. The non-original addition was removed and the original west entry was rebuilt to match the original. With the restoration of Old Main, the grand and stately features that make up its historic character will continue to serve the people of Southern Utah.
Utah Heritage Foundation presented the award to Southern Utah University.
Project Architect: Cooper Roberts Simonsen Associates, Allen Roberts lead
General Contractor: Carter Enterprises