Lower Park Avenue, one of Park City's oldest residential neighborhoods, is where the 1904 National Garage and adjacent 1914 Beggs House, a two-story Box style home, sat in need of a reuse plan for over a decade. Their visibility, beneficial location along a busy stretch of Park Avenue near the ski bridge, and distinctive recognizable historic character hinted at the great potential for the property to passers-by and the real estate market. Requests for demolition were submitted to the Park City Historic District Commission but were fortunately denied.
With the growth of Park City, this residential neighborhood was re-zoned for commercial use and the owners of High West Distillery saw an opportunity. The renovation of these structures could provide them with adequate space for distillery operations, a restaurant, tasting room, and saloon.
However the National Garage was declared a dangerous building, so the renovation of both structures would be challenging. The garage was disassembled into several components and taken off site for the restoration and rehabilitation process. A new structural frame was built on a new footing and foundation located on the existing footprint. This approach allowed the existing fabric of this fragile building to maintain its historic integrity while not being destroyed in the process of bringing it up to current building codes.
The two-story home remained onsite but was removed from its old foundation while a new foundation could be constructed in its place. With the house moved back onto its foundation, the garage was ready to move into its final resting place. A new addition now links the two buildings and creates circulation between the two structures. With High West Distillery providing a new use for these historic places, they will be useful and attractive for many generations to come.
Utah Heritage Foundation presented High West Distillery with a Heritage Award for the Adaptive Use of the Beggs Home and National Garage.
Project Architect: Wallace C. Cooper, AIA, CRSA
General Contractor: Heil Construction