A bank has stood at the corner of 100 South and Main Street in Salt Lake City since 1875 when the Deseret National Bank first built on the site. In 1919, the original building was replaced by the new Deseret Building which you see today. Deseret National Bank played an important role in Utah history. First headed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints President Brigham Young, Deseret National was the only Mormon-controlled commercial bank in Utah for many years. As such, it supported the economic needs and goals for the growth of church and the community. Deseret National remained the state's leading national bank well into the 20th century.
First Security Bank acquired Deseret National in 1932 and made this building its headquarters for over 20 years. The building is now evolving again to be included in the ambitious downtown revitalization project headed by City Creek Reserve, Inc. The initial plans for City Creek Center did not include the First Security Bank building, but with efforts by Utah Heritage Foundation and with the support of the community, plans changed and this beautiful historic building is prominently located in the new mixed-use facility promoting urban revitalization that includes high-quality historic preservation.
The building received a complete upgrade of all mechanical systems and meets current seismic code. The large tank that was perched atop of the building to pump water throughout was removed and culinary water systems were upgraded. With the re-use of existing materials, saving removed concrete, and separating salvage materials, this building has been submitted for LEED Gold certification; a remarkable achievement for a project of this magnitude.
Utah Heritage Foundation presented the Heritage Award to City Creek Reserve, Inc.