Nelson Cottage - Adaptive Use
Constructed circa 1925, this one-story bungalow was originally a residence and was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 as part of the Park City Mining Boom Era Residences Thematic District. It was not listed at the time due to owner’s objection but is locally designated as a “Landmark” site on Park City’s Historic Sites Inventory.
Located between the commercial historic Main Street to the east and historic residential neighborhoods to the south and west, changes in zoning have allowed for the space to be used commercially in the past as a candy store and a coffee shop. But the residential nature of the existing historic structure and its location in a transitional zone required a sensitive design approach to retain the aesthetic of the street.
High West Distillery purchased the property in 2014 with plans to use the cottage as an event space. Owner James Dumas and Architect Steve Cornell worked closely with Park City Planning Department staff to design a rear kitchen addition that is largely concealed by, but easy to differentiate from, the original historic house.
The interior was sensitively renovated to expose the original brick chimney and roof beams as well as the original knob and tube wiring as a decorative accent within the finished space. The renovation of the Nelson Cottage has reduced the building’s impact on the neighborhood while the landscape plan found a way to blend commercial use and outdoor dining space with the adjacent residential neighborhood.