2016 Heritage Awards
Utah Heritage Foundation will honor individuals and groups with Heritage Awards, and one individual with the Lucybeth Rampton Lifetime Achievement Award at a gala dinner on March 31, 2016, at Memorial House in Memory Grove Park.
Each award recipient represents a model that others can look to for meeting the challenges of preservation. As a group, the recipients represent the many and varied ways preservation is accomplished in our communities. They include: exciting adaptive use projects, the tireless efforts of dedicated homeowners, threatened buildings that have been saved from destruction, and the lifetime efforts of a committed preservationist. Through this awards program, Utah Heritage Foundation congratulates our award recipients and thanks them for their contribution to preserving Utah's architectural heritage.
Construction on the Manti Tabernacle began in 1877 under the direction of local stonemasons and was completed enough for weekly use by 1882. However, it would be another 21 years until the steeple and finials were installed and the building was finally completed. Joseph F. Smith, president of the LDS Church at the time, dedicated the building in 1903. In 1930 major alterations were made to the interior. Instead of a single large assembly room, the tabernacle now featured a mezzanine floor with the chapel on the upper level and classrooms on the lower level and the building was rededicated by President Heber J. Grant. In 1960 the addition of a recreation hall, new kitchen, and additional classrooms modified the character of the 1903 exterior and the 1930 interior.
The 2014-2015 project sought to restore the building to what it looked like when it was dedicated in 1903 and 1930. Wood exterior doors were replicated based on historic photographs, the exterior of the building was completely repointed using an appropriate lime based mortar, a concrete parge coat was removed from the exterior foundation, the stone restored as needed, and the historic steeple was restored.
Interior work focused on preserving the 1930 aesthetic of the chapel. Rostrum casework and pews were re-stained. A band of decorative paint along the top of the chapel wall was restored. New lighting, custom carpet, and new opera seating were installed to accentuate the historic character of the building.
Restoration of the Manti Tabernacle has brought back the amazing character of one of Manti Main Street’s key places, allowing the building to continue to serve as the historic religious center of the community as it has since 1882.